The best litter pan for your catBack to overview
You are here
If you had the opportunity to ask your cat “What is the best gift I could ever get you?” most certainly he would reply: “a highly desirable litter pan!”
But what does this mean for a cat?
Check these basic desirable qualities to see if your cat needs a change:
How many litter pans is best?
- The basic rule of thumb is to add 1 additional litter pan to the total number of cats you have. If you have one cat, you should have 2 litter pans.
Where is the best place to have a litter pan?
- It is all about location, location, location! Is your litter pan tucked away in the corner of the dark furnace room covered with a lid? Placing it along a wall may be more desirable for your cat. It should be easy to access, without a lid, in a low traffic area.
How small is too small?
- Cats prefer a long pan the length of your cat itself, from the tip of his nose to the tip of his tail, plus another one half that length. A great pan ideally is the “stow away” type plastic containers that fit under couches and beds. Toss the lid and voila! A highly desirable litter pan size.
What type of litter is best?
- Fill the pan with non-scented litter clumping fine sand like material. Often the cheapest clumping cat litter is the best. Add 5-6 inches deep of litter.
Remember, all cats are unique and these recommendations are those made what most cats typically prefer. If your cat’s is experiencing elimination problems, seek advice from your veterinarian or veterinary behaviorist. It is often quite possible to remedy the issue.
Article written by Dr. Colleen Wilson, veterinarian at Orleans Veterinary Hospital, ON.
Tips & Tricks
- Cat owners are often interested in what their cat thinks. Many would like to know how their cat feels about them! The answer might surprise you.
Many owners are interested in showing their dog how much they care. My advice: treat your pet like you would want to be treated. It is that simple!